Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Found; a home for my hifi

So far so good. I'll go through the components individually a bit later on.

It's distinctly British looking; small stand-mounted speakers - Quad 11L2s - and components tuned to the European ear, although manufactured by Marantz.

Most stuff has been brought in from the UK, suitcase by suitcase and powered through a 110v>220v converter.

The turntable, a Pro-Ject Classic Cherry, has had a new 110v/60Hz motor fitted by me. It awaits an Ortofon 2M Red cartridge and accurate alignment and adjustments.

I'm also playing with a powered sub-woofer - hidden behind the tables, but this is from a home cinema system and is not very musical. I'd like to try again with a kit I built in the UK which gave seamless results.

If you look carefully, you can also see a Cambridge DacMagic with a USB cable stretching out to my laptop ... This is giving very interesting and encouraging results ... hifi from a computer. More soon ...