Thursday, August 20, 2009

More Stuff : Shimano Carbon Tubeless Wheelset

They say an ounce off your wheels is worth a pound off your bike.

My Giant OCR c2 came with an adequate wheelset; Mavic Aksiums. But it was a revelation when I had a chance to try a set of Shimano carbon wheels. So come my birthday - thank you Linda - I was lucky enough to get a set of the latest Shimano Dura Ace tubeless carbon wheels.

I've combined them with Hutchinson Intensive tubeless tyres and very nice they are too.

In a nutshell, this combination makes for a very smooth, responsive ride. Road vibration/shock is noticeably less and the wheels seem to accelerate with the least effort. They put your cycling ability up a grade.

Of course, there may be problems. The tyres seem durable and are treated with sealant, but I've yet to see what happens in the event of a puncture. Hopefully I'll never find out, but this is the real world ...

More later ...