Tuesday, May 24, 2011


Griggstown Grinder : 20110524

Less than a month until Midsummer's Day and only on my third Grinder of the year.

But today my legs felt pretty good. Not quite KoM, but almost.

Diane's route had two nice climbs. Copper Mine Road (300ft/90metres) and Cherry Hill Road (400ft/120metres) with a couple of smaller hills thrown in for a total of 1450ft/440metres in almost 25 miles/40km. Have you noticed how hills sound more impressive in feet?



Anyway, this was one of the best evening rides of the year, so far. The threatened thunderstorms failed to materialise, and it was a bunch of happy riders who arrived back at the cars just as the sun set over the Sourland Mountain.

All routes published on this blog are recorded using a Garmin Edge 605.

If you want a bicycle GPS then the Garmin Edge 605/705/800 is hard to beat. However, there is a drawback. The illustration shows a 605 with quite a pretty map display with contours and colour and fine road detail.

But, despite costing far more than most car GPS' you still have to shell out a further substantial amount if you want mapping in that sort of detail. It's annoying to spend maybe $500-$600 and find you need to spend a further $100 for the North America map. And again a year later when the map's updated.

I have recently found this page on The Open Source Map (OSM) which has been adapted to run on any Garmin. I haven't tried it myself, although I'm shortly going to download the North America map onto a microSD and try it out myself.

I'll let you how I get on in a few weeks.

Enhanced by Zemanta