Sunday, November 06, 2011


You can't have too many bikes? Right?

But where are you going to put them?

The past couple of places I have lived have had the best bicycle accessory there is - as well as a car, that is - a cellar.

But now my storage options are very limited, and somehow I still have to store four bikes and all I have is a single garage in which we still have to park a car.

And here's where the Saris CycleGlide comes in. Imagine a filing system for your bicycles; each bike hangs from its individual fitting on the ceiling and slides up and down a track for access. The CycleGlide comes equipped to handle four bikes, plus an option to add another two.

So I spent a Sunday afternoon locating ceiling rafters and re-routing the garage door motor power cable installing the device.

In essence it consists of two rails which need to be very securely attached to the ceiling. It was fairly easy to find the underlying rafters so that the bikes wouldn't be hanging from half-an-inch of plaster-board, or whatever they call it here.

Four extra rails which are able to slide up and down the ceiling rails hold adjustable hooks, which in turn support the bicycles which hang, upside-down, from their wheels

I was able to suspend my own weight from the hooks, so I'm thinking my efforts at finding strong attachment points have been successful. The rig is rated at 200lb/90kg; that is 50lb/23kg per bike, more than enough for most quality bicycles. The extra kit enables two further 50lb/23kg bikes to be stored. From my trials, I would have no problem in assuming the bikes will be held very securely.

The bikes can be slid up and down the rails, facilitating access to individual bikes, then rolled over to one side when not in use.

First impressions are very good, the whole thing being far more flexible than using pulleys or hooks to suspend the bikes from the ceiling.

As long as you are able to lift a bicycle to shoulder height this is an effective system with scope to expand the capacity to six bikes.

I know, you always need just one more bicycle. but this will handle most cyclists' fleets.