Sunday, June 15, 2008

Esbjörn Svensson : 1964 - 2008

I was very sorry to hear of the death of Esbjörn Svensson of EST, in a scuba accident near Stockholm, SWE.

I can't recall how I came across the music of the Esbjörn Svensson Trio, but something about them resonated with me and I just got to love their free-flowing jazz influenced music which somehow also embraced other genres without patronising yet with a wicked sense of humour..

I was lucky enough to see EST twice; once at Bristol's St George's Hall and the second time in New York's Joe's Pub. St George's Hall is remarkable for its acoustics, good enough to be a favoured venue for BBC Radio to record recitals from classical to jazz and world music.

The next time I saw EST was at Joe's Pub. Linda and I sat next to a couple of French women who had last seen EST at ... St George's Hall ... small world.

It's hard to believe that we'll never do that again ...

So thanks EST ... it was a good ride.